The staff of Lake Cumberland Surgery Center would like to thank you for choosing us for your child’s upcoming surgery. We know that this can be a stressful time for you and your child, and would like to help relieve any anxiety and answer any questions that you may have beforehand.
One to two days prior to surgery, a Registered Nurse will call you to review your child’s health history and give you pre-op instructions. The following are some of the things that the nurse will review with you:
- Dress your child in comfortable clothes (pajamas are a great option).
- A favorite toy/stuffed animal is allowed to go with the child into the OR if they have one.
- Please bring extra clothing/diapers/Sippy cups, and bottles for your child.
- Parents are to remain at the surgery center at all times in case consent is needed for any additional procedures once the child is in the OR.
- Discharge instructions will be given verbally and written as it is sometimes hard to remember and hear all that is told to you by the nurse when your child is in recovery. Please review them again once you arrive home. The post-op appointment with your doctor is also written in the instructions.
- It is normal for your child to be sleepy for several hours after surgery, so make sure that you watch them closely when walking, playing, eating etc.
- No family members are allowed in the OR. We have found in the past that allowing this can oftentimes be more stressful for the family and staff alike.
- As soon as your child is awake and his/her vital signs are stable, we will call you to the recovery room. Our goal is to minimize the time that the child is separated from his/her parents.
If you have questions prior to your pre-op phone call, please feel free to call and ask for a Registered Nurse. We want our patients and their family to be very satisfied with the overall service they receive at the Lake Cumberland Surgery Center!